Diacoll-S TM is a Collagen - Gentamicin in the form sponge / containing collagen and Gentamicin sulphate. The collagen Gentamicin implant is composed of highly purified Type-I collagen obtained from bovine Tendon, which acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. The collagen is derived from specifically controlled and certified animals and is highly purified to avoid any antiginicity. Gentamicin sulphate is a wide spectrum antibiotic that provides highly effective topical treatment in primary and secondary bacterial infections of the skin. Diacoll-S TM is produced using the latest triple helix collagen technique to provide an optimum degree of flexibility and rigidity combined with the most predictable resorptive process.
Mechanism of Action :
Diacoll-S TM comprises of a collagen sponge incorporated with Gentamicin sulphate. When applied on the wound the collagen acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. Collagen is absorbed slowly by the tissue in 6 to 10 days after is application. The Diacoll-S TM kills bacteria that may be antibiotic-resistant at lower doses. It maintains a high concentration of the drug at the target site, while avoiding the risk of systemic toxicity and associated side effects. It comes prepacked and sterile and is intended for single use only.
Indications :Diacoll-S can be applied in a number of surgeries to reduce the risk of Surgical Site Infections.
- Vascular / Plastic
- Diabetic Foot Ulcer ( Osteomyelitis )
Directions for Use :
- In all cases standard established sterile surgical procedure must be observed.
- Diacoll-S TM should be cut to the desired size to ideally extend 2-3mm beyond the edge of the defect(s).
- The sheet once wet with blood tends to adapt extremely well to the bone/tissue walls.
Applications of Diacoll-S TM implant on first day
- Prepare the wound bed :Change and dispose of the old dressing in a safe, careful and appropriate manner.
- Accomplish appropriate wound debridement.
- Irrigate the wound gently and carefully with sterile saline water until wound is free of debris, necrotic slough etc.
- Gently blot wound edges and peri-wound margins dry.
Apply Diacoll-S TM
- Take the appropriate size of the Diacoll-S TM cut open the sterile pouch.
- Cut the Diacoll-S TM According to the shape of the wound and apply it to the wound surface.
- When applied to the wound surface it tends of adapt extremely well to the bone / tissue walls.
- Wound care dressing : The area may be covered with gauze dressing if desired.
Precautions & Comments :
- Wounds may appear larger during first several days of treatment due to reduction of edema.
- An increase in drainage may be seen in the first several days of treatment.
- Treatment of the underlying conditions (Venous or arterial flow, external pressure as well as nutritional support should proceed concurrently with the use of Diacoll-S TM
- Avoid patient hypersensitive to collagen, Gentamicin.
- A transient burning sensation may be experienced by a small percentage of patients.
How supplied : Diacoll-S TM implant is supplied in the following sizes in a gamma sterilized pouch.
Sizes available : 5cm x 5cm, 10cm x 10cm, 5cm x 20cm